Monday, November 9, 2015

#2 "If the Lord Commanded Me To Do All Things I Could Do Them"

Leih hou!!!

I am still loving the MTC! I am constantly learning and growing, and it's the best! It's really hard, but I love it! Utah isn't as cold as I thought it would be right now, but I am probably speaking too soon. The colors of fall are so beautiful here, especially with the mountains in the background. 

Well, it happened you guys. I got sick. Since Tuesday night I have had a rough cold and since Thursdays I have had a sore throat and basically no voice. I have had a really raspy/no voice for 4 days now. Needless to say, speaking a language with 6 tones and new sounds is pretty rough. But despite how awful I have felt, I have felt so many tender mercies from the Lord this week! Just to name a few, we were able to commit Joe to baptism this week (that one took a long time, but when we finally got to what was keeping him from baptism and invited him again, he accepted! BEST FEELING EVER.) and I lost my voice completely after our very last lesson with Joe. MIRACLE. Also, I have still been able to learn so much Cantonese that I ever did before. Again, MIRACLE. And I only had to skip gym time once and I have been able to keep up with the super demanding schedule of a missionary at the MTC. MIRACLE. Also, my companion is so sweet and she is really patient with me and my being sick. She's helped me and strengthened me so much! MIRACLE. I think you guys get the picture. The Lord really wants to me to learn Cantonese, and he's definitely provided a way for me to still be productive no matter how awful I feel.

Speaking of Joe though, Joe isn't actually Joe. He is now Si Hingdaih, who is now one of our MTC teachers. What the heck?! Our district felt a little betrayed that this man we put so much thought and prayer into is actually a tri-lingual, spiritual giant! It's all good though, he's a great teacher and got home from his mission in Hong Kong in May, and I've been learning so much from him! We now have 3 Canto teachers, and they're all so gifted and they help me so much with learning the language!!

We also have at least 4 lessons with 2 new investigators this week in Cantonese, which I am really looking forward to and am totally terrified at the same time. I am really excited to meet them though! My companion and I are feeling really good about these next few lessons coming up.

Also, on our walk to the temple Sunday, Sister Adams and I met up with Elder Chantz Yazzie, who left for Turkey today! It was so fun to catch up and talk about the good ol' Yokota times and see where everyone's at and how far we've come from middle school/high school. Time is a funny thing.

Okay, just a few thoughts I wanted to share with y'all!!

In my scripture study this week, I came across a scripture in the Book of Mormon that really helped me overcome my trials for the week. In 2 Nephi 17:50 it says,

"And I said unto them: If God had commanded me to do all things I could do them. If he should command me that I should say unto this water, be thou earth, it should be earth; and if I should say it, it would be done."

This is at a time when Nephi is being criticized pretty harshly by his brothers for trying to build a boat that would take them across an ocean after the Lord commanded him to do so. And he was still able to accomplish what the Lord asked him to do!! The Lord will never give us a commandment He will not prepare a way for us to follow. My life has not gotten any easier being on a mission. I've been sick for a good portion of my time here, learning Cantonese is hard, and being exactly obedient is harder than I thought it would be. But when we pray meaningfully to the Lord through holy communication and consecrated work, we can do all things the Lord asks us to do.


Also, our MTC choir director shared a really interesting thought last night. To be a really great anything, one must be focused on their purpose. To do that, we need to do the things that will help us keep focused on fulfilling our purpose and get rid of the distractions that would keep us from doing so. Chuuyngaausih muhkdik, which is Missionary Purpose in Cantonese, were the first two words in Canto that really stuck in my brain, and I know that's not a coincidence. I am so grateful to be in a place like the Provo MTC where I am surrounded by people with the same purpose as me and how much strength, love, and revelation I've received from the Lord on how I can keep my focus so I can be the best/most consecrated missionary the Lord needs me to be.

I love you all!! Have a fantastic week! Keep doing the things that will help you fulfill your purpose in life, whatever it may be.

All my love,

Sister Leonard 

PS If you want to send a Dear Elder, which is a website that allows you to send typed-out letters FOR FREE to me here at the PROVO MTC, my information is on my blog at sisterleonardinhongkong.blogspot,com. I would love to hear from all of you! Also, shoot me your address if you'd like a letter from me!





With Sister Adams and Brother Yazzie!


No comments:

Post a Comment